Exits and Transfers
Do you have an employee leaving Rice or transferring from your department? This section serves as a guide to the forms and procedures needed to complete the termination process for employees leaving Rice voluntarily or transferring to another department.
It is important to ensure the voluntary termination process is completed in a timely manner and that all required forms (i.e., the termination form, final time sheets and time and attendance records) are submitted in conjunction with the payroll deadlines. For payroll deadlines, refer to the payroll calendars.
The following steps serve as a guideline for Supervisors and Managers completing the voluntary termination process:
- Complete the Termination Form through Adobe Sign and include any relevant documents, such as a resignation letter (or voluntary resignation form) and Checkout List.
- For non-exempt employees, ensure their final time sheet is approved via Web Time Entry (WTE) or submitted to payroll prior to their last day.
- Encourage all employees who are leaving Rice or transferring to another department to complete the online exit survey In-person exit interviews are available upon request with one of our HR Business Partners. Please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Leaving Rice – Resource Sheet is a helpful document that outlines information related to health insurance, retirement, and other relevant information for employees leaving Rice.
- Check in with your employee on their last day and collect their ID card, purchasing card, Faculty Club card, keys (turned in to RUPD), parking card, and any other Rice issued equipment prior to their final departure. The cards should be sent to Human Resources, MS-92. The Check Out Form can be used as a helpful tool in reviewing and discussing any outstanding items prior to the employee’s last day.
- If you know the employee is moving, have them log into ESTHER to update their address information or make sure to include the new address on the termination form.
Please note the employee’s final check will include payment of any accrued, but unused Paid Time Off (PTO), in accordance with the Paid Time Off Policy No. 405, and will be processed on the next regular payroll cycle.
Important Tips When Someone is Leaving Rice or Transferring to a Different Department:
- Develop a transition plan: a two week notice can go by fast, so it is important to meet with your employee and discuss priorities for them to focus on. Please be mindful of what your employee can accomplish between now and when they leave.
- Communicate: let your team know as soon as possible, and identify key contacts on and off campus who should also be notified. SmartSieve – set an auto-reply to notify others who they should contact in your employee’s absence.
- Wish your employee well!
Great resource: Harvard Business Review article Your Company Needs a Process for Offboarding Employees Gracefully