It Starts With You
Career development can be described as the lifelong journey of a person’s work identity and the big-picture view of someone’s ultimate career goal, which includes the years of education, training, jobs, and experience acquired.
It also entails awareness of one’s existing skills and what skills or knowledge are required for an aspired position and by the chosen industry, since the associated technological, political, cultural, etc. landscape changes rapidly. Thus, the intentional reflection, exploration, networking, and outside-of-work activities contribute to an employee’s ability to attain his or her career goals.
Whether it is developing one’s personal brand, creating a career plan or getting connected with other professionals, Rice hopes to support employees in their journeys. The following are examples of how we can partner with employees:
- Facilitate connections with other Rice professionals, both in small group settings and one-on-one.
- Provide workshops that enable employees to assess strengths, explore possibilities and utilize tools for planning.
- Arrange career coaching in order to meet the diverse needs of our community.
We encourage all Rice employees to work with their supervisor to develop a plan that supports both professional and career development aspirations. Supervisors can assist by:
- Offering ongoing feedback, both performance and development related.
- Ensuring each employee has the opportunity to develop skills for current and future jobs.
- Supporting career development overall and connecting each employee with resources at Rice.
Review Rice University’s Tuition Reimbursement policy