Back-Up Care Advantage Program®
Rice is pleased to provide backup care for any member of your family that depends on you for care through the Back-up Care Advantage Program® All benefits-eligible faculty and staff are eligible for the program.
Back-up Care Advantage Program:
The back-up care advantage provides 10 days of care per calendar year for your child or adult/elder relative when regular arrangements fall through. Rice is covering the majority of the cost but your responsibility at the time of care is as follows:
- Center Based Care – $15/child or $25/family per day (the Bright Horizons center downtown on 1001 McKinney can still be used as part of this benefit towards the allowed 10 days)
- In-home care $6/hour – there is a 4 hour minimum up to a 10 hour maximum (applied as one day even if minimum hours used)
Through this benefit, you have access to experienced Backup Care Specialists 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. These specialists find and schedule care on your behalf so that you can go to work with confidence knowing your loved ones are in skilled hands. Of course, you also have the option to stay home with your loved one, as well, but the Backup Care Advantage Programs allows for YOU to make the choice.
Registration (registrationis required for first time users and reservations are needed for all back-up care services)
- Online: www.careadvantage.com/RICE
- User name: Rice
- Password: backup7
- Call: 877-242-2737 (available for assistance 24/7)
Anyone who counts on you as their primary care giver — infants through elderly — qualifies for the program. You can use back-upcare for your spouse/domestic partner and children, as well as your parents or your spouse’s/domestic partner’s parents.
For quick reference, you can view the Back-Up Care Fact Sheet.
The program also has an App that you can download to your smart phone. Use the App to submit a new back-up care request, cancel reservations, and more! Please see the following for more information:
The Back-up Care Advantage Program has developed alliances with the most reputable, high quality in-home health care agencies, nanny agencies, and licensed child care centers across the U.S. and Canada; these partnerships form the foundation of the national provider network which includes:
- 2,800 centers
- 800 nanny and in-home agencies represeting 200,000 care-givers
The Back-up Care Advantage Program monitors all providers for quality assurance. Care givers must pass background/reference checks, and must have CPR and first-aid training and relevant experience. Centers must meet or exceed state regulations including background checks, staff to child ratios and health/safety standards.
Bright Horizons CareDirect:
CareDirect is a great program offered to you to help find care for your loved ones. This online care database offers you more options for regular and long-term care needs – as well as care for evening, weekends, and even pets! With CareDirect, you have access to:
- Self-selected, pre-screened caregivers
- Everyday care (babysitters/nannies) for children and for special needs
- Elder care resources
- Pet care – dog walkers, pet sitters and more
- Preferred enrollment access and exclusive discounts at participating child care centers nationwide
- You are responsible for the full cost of all care services chosen
- Scroll down to the bottom of the landing page to “Additional Family Resources”
- Click on the picture of the service you are interested in, and follow the directions from there. You may need to register at Sitter City to access available resources.