The following position types are not recruited through RICEWorks and are by appointment only. Click on each position type in order to learn more.
The faculty hiring process is coordinated within the hiring department and school. All tenure/tenure track faculty hires are approved through the Provost. All non-tenure/tenure track faculty hires are approved through the appropriate Dean's office.
Tenure Track Faculty
Faculty hires require affirmative action reporting and review. Paperwork is completed on the Affirmative Action form for Faculty and Postdoctoral Searches. The form is available on the Human Resources website under the HR Forms section.
Once a department has completed all of the steps outlined by the Provost’s office for hiring a new faculty member, how do you accomplish getting this new faculty member into the Banner system so that they can get a Rice ID, IT accounts, parking and most importantly, get paid? Outlined below is a process for making all of this happen.
- Once a new appointment has been approved by the Board, the Provost office will forward the original PAF and copy of the President’s offer letter to Human Resources.
- Human Resources will then send a letter to the new faculty member that will include the forms that need to be completed in order to get him/her set up in the database.
- A new faculty member should be directed to the HR Services office in the Memorial Hermann Medical Plaza (6400 Fannin Suite 2600) on their first day of service to complete employment documents.
- Hiring departments should arrange for the Personnel Action Form (PAF) and signed offer letter to be sent to HR Services (MS 92) as soon as possible in the process.
- Once the new faculty member has returned the forms to Human Resources, the data can be entered, and the faculty member can begin the process of obtaining a Rice NetID, email account and receiving their salary.
Non Tenure-Track Faculty
- The department should send a Personnel Action Form (PAF) and a copy of the Dean’s office offer letter to Human Resources.
- The new faculty member should come to the HR office on or before the first day he/she will begin the new appointment.
First time adjunct faculty appointments must be made on a Personnel Action Form (PAF) with the appropriate signatures from the department and dean’s office. Additionally, the following is required for new adjunct appointments:
- Adjunct appointment letter
- Adjunct Data Form (completed by the individual and submitted to Human Resources)
For many complimentary/adjunct appointees, access to IT accounts, such as computer and/or e-mail is important. In order for IT accounts to be activated by the individual, HR must have the completed Complimentary/Adjunct Data Form so that personal identification information can be entered into the Banner HR system and routed to IT. This process typically takes 24 hours, so the earlier all information is provided, the sooner the accounts can be established for the individual. To activate IT accounts, the complimentary/adjunct appointee should go to https://apply.rice.edu and follow the instructions provided.