Recruitment & Hiring
Our Recruitment Philosophy
Rice University has hiring policies and procedures that address statutory requirements, such as the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Texas Commission on Human Rights Act and others. In addition, Rice University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Our hiring policies and procedures ensure equal employment opportunities for all applicants, uniform reporting procedures, and compliance with federal and state laws and regulations. Good hiring practices allow us to:
- Hire efficiently in regard to both time and cost;
- Hire the best applicants; and
- Avoid claims of unlawful discrimination.
The Recruitment Team of the Human Resources Department offers consultant type services to hiring managers and provides assistance to the hiring manager in navigating the hiring process and identifying and hiring the best applicants. Recruiters are available to discuss search strategy, schedule interviews, assist in the preparation and/or participate in interviews and schedule skills assessment testing when appropriate. The knowledge and ability to assess applicants’ qualifications, conduct effective interviews, and make objective hiring decisions is critical.
Our Recruitment Process
Staff hires are posted through RICEWorks, an on-line applicant tracking system. We also provide training to hiring managers and administrators for the RICEWorks system. Each school and/or department at Rice has a recruiter assigned to help them navigate through the recruitment and selection process. Once a position is posted, your dedicated recruiter can assist you along the way. Below is a list of services that we can assist you with in the recruitment process for your position.
- Additional screening of applications/resumes when received
- Initial phone screenings/interviews
- Initial face-to-face interviews
- Scheduling departmental interviews
- Participating in and/or assisting with departmental/panel interviews
- Escorting candidates to and from departmental interviews on campus
- Preparing for reference checking
Our goal is to help you in finding the best candidate available for your open position. We look forward to working with you!