Time off at Rice is governed by a number of different policies. Below are links to those policies along with bullet points that indicate a summary of the policy.
- Time granted off for vacation, sick, personal business and religious holidays.
- Must be scheduled and approved in advance by supervisor.
- Rice University normally observes certain state and federal holidays, including Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day (Thursday and Friday), Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day and Memorial Day.
- For full-time employees, holidays are eight hours.
- Part-time employees are eligible for holiday time according to the percentage of a full year they work. (Example: A person who works 20 hours a week would be entitled to four hours per day per holiday).
- Click here to view the calendar of University holidays.
- Paid time off (for benefits-eligible employees) from Christmas Day (December 25) to New Year’s Day (January 1) in addition to normal benefit time accrual.
- Only essential functions are maintained during the winter recess, requiring only staff in designated areas and positions to be present at work during this time.
- Staff who are required to work on university holidays in order to maintain essential functions during the winter recess will have these days added to their benefit time accumulation.
- For benefits-eligible staff who are unable to work for medical reasons.
- Employees must be employed by the university for at least one year and be in a benefits-eligible position.
- Employee must request STD from supervisor then contact UNUM to initiate claim.
- UNUM is our third-party disability claims company and can be accessed online at www.unum.com/claims or by telephone at 888-857-0157.
- Time granted off for the loss of a close relative or loved one.
- Employee must request leave from supervisor ahead of time.
- If injury is work related, worker’s compensation payments cover the bills and compensation for lost time.
- Employee must report injury to manager or supervisor immediately.
- Contact Renee Block, Director of Risk Management for additional information.
- Leave of absence for medical reasons (including pregnancy) or family reasons.
- Provides up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave to eligible employees.
- Employees must be employed by the university for at least one year AND worked a minimum of 1,250 hours in that year.
- When necessary, leave can be taken intermittently.