After submitting, the lead department, division or school approver will review and submit the request to Compensation for review.
Reclassifications and promotions are related, but they are not the same thing. This section will define reclassification and outline the appropriate processes and procedures to complete it. To learn more about promotions, please visit the Promotions page.
A reclassification is a change in the classification of a position. A reclassification typically results from a change in job duties and responsibilities and may or may not result in a change in grade level and/or title. If the position is currently occupied, it may or may not result in a change in pay for the current job incumbent.
Identify the key changes to the job duties and responsibilities.
- How has the level of responsibility in the job changed?
- How has the scope of responsibility in the job changed? (For example, a person’s scope of responsibility may expand when they were responsible for managing one unit and have taken on an additional unit.)
- Has the position been assigned new duties? Which position was performing this work before? Are the duties more complex or at the same level as the current duties? (More work does not necessarily mean a change in classification is warranted. Particularly if it is simply an increase in volume of their workload.)
Inform the appropriate people in your school, division or department of the actions you intend to take with the job to ensure it is supported.
Update the job description. All reclassification requests must be accompanied by an updated job description submitted via RICEWorks for review by Compensation.
- Tip: Update the job description in a Word document first. It’s much easier to revise and edit in a Word document rather than doing it directly in RICEWorks. If the current job description is already in RICEWorks, pull it up in the Job Description Library, copy and paste into a Word document. If not, create the job description by using the Job Description Template.
Submit the revised job description through RICEWorks.
- Login to RICEWorks using your net ID and password.
- Click Begin new action.
- Select one of the following actions:
- Update or Reclassify Existing Position WITHOUT Posting (if the position is currently occupied.)
- Update or Reclassify Existing Position AND Post for Recruitment (if the position is or will soon be vacant.)
- Enter the position number and click Search.
- Click Start Action.
- Follow the directions in the request, entering all required information and submit for review.
Tip: Make sure to save your work as you go. Before moving on to the next page, click the Save and stay on this page button at the bottom of each page.
Once the job description has been reviewed and approved by Compensation, the next step will depend on whether or not the position will be posted for recruitment.
- If the job is to be posted for recruitment, Compensation will submit the request to Recruitment to review and approve for posting.
- If no recruitment is needed, a Personnel Action Form (PAF) will need to be submitted to finalize the reclassification as well as any changes to grade, pay and title.
These steps will apply to most circumstances; however, if your situation is more complicated or you are unsure if this applies to you, please contact Compensation.
If these changes are the result of an organizational change, please make sure to contact Compensation or Employee Relations prior to submitting the request.