An interim assignment is a temporary assignment a current employee takes on which is a different role or additional job responsibilities from a vacant position. This typically occurs when a supervisor or co-worker has vacated a role and an existing employee takes on some or all job responsibilities of the vacant position. A temporary increase to a staff member’s pay may be provided for taking on an interim assignment; however it is not required. To provide additional compensation for an interim assignment, follow the steps listed below.
If desired, an exempt staff member may be compensated for taking on an interim assignment. This can be done either by providing the staff member a one-time payment or by adjusting the staff member's salary for a temporary period of time. There are general guidelines listed below. If you are considering either option, contact Compensation for more information on appropriate rates and methods of payment.
If the interim assignment is going to be three months or more, an adjustment to the staff member's salary may be the best method. If this is the preferred method, contact Compensation to determine an appropriate amount.
Listed below are some basic steps to process a temporary pay adjustment for an interim assignment:
- Work with HR to determine an appropriate adjustment to the staff member’s monthly salary.
- Submit a PAF to establish the interim assignment.
- Indicate the increased monthly salary (and an interim title if necessary)
- Indicated the expected time frame
- Indicate a reason for the change
- Once the interim assignment ends, submit a PAF to bring the staff member's salary back to the original amount. Make sure to be mindful of the payroll deadlines when making these adjustments. Mistakes could cause a staff member to miss a paycheck or to be overpaid.
One Time Payment
For interim assignments that are less than three months, a one-time payment provided at the end of the interim assignment may be the best method. If this is the preferred method, contact Compensation to determine an appropriate amount.