Exits and Transfers for Employees
We realize that other career opportunities or personal events occur that precipitates your departure from Rice. Below is general information to help ensure a smooth transition from Rice. Thank you for your dedication, time and commitment during your employment at Rice.
The Check-Out Form ensures the exiting employee has turned in the final timesheet to Payroll and/or the time and attendance report to the supervisor, cleared any outstanding balances owed to Rice and returned all Rice issued cards and equipment before the final day. This completed form is either turned into the department or the Human Resources representative conducting the exit interview prior to the final day worked.
Benefits-eligible staff should schedule an exit interview with Employee Relations before leaving Rice. The Exit Interview Summary Form is a checklist of information covered and should be brought to the exit interview to ensure all your employment matters are concluded before departing Rice.
In the event you have not already notified your department in writing of your departure, please complete the Voluntary Resignation Form.
Provide your viewpoint to help us continue to improve the Rice experience.
You maintain access to Esther after you terminate so you can change your address, view previous Rice pay stubs and obtain your tax information.
Most benefits, including health insurance, dental insurance and life insurance, will continue through the end of the month in which you worked your last day. The flexible spending accounts offered through WageWorks will end at the end of the month in which you leave Rice. Any expenses that are incurred during the month in which you leave can be claimed up to 6 months after your termination of benefits. You will need to file a "pay me back claim" with WageWorks – please contact WageWorks, 1-877-924-3967, with any questions regarding the flexible spending accounts. For questions regarding your benefits, please contact Benefits at email@example.com or at x2363 or visit the Life Events page.
- COBRA: A COBRA enrollment packet with an option to extend your medical benefits coverage should be mailed to you from WageWorks 1-2 weeks after your termination paperwork is processed in HR. For more information on COBRA benefits, please visit the Continuation of Benefits (COBRA) page.
- Long Term Care (LTC): If you have this benefit, you can take this policy with you. If you wish to continue this coverage you need ask for the LTC continuation form.
- Group & Supplemental Life Insurance: This coverage has the option for conversion or portability to individual policies. You must request the applicable forms from benefits no later than 30 days from when your benefits end.
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D): This coverage has portability option to an individual policy. You must request the applicable forms from benefits no later than 30 days from when your benefits end.
- Aetna: 1-800-905-7670 / Envision Rx: 1-800-361-4542
Vesting in the 401(a) Rice Retirement Plan – If you have completed one year of benefits-eligible service, then you are fully vested and may contact TIAA-CREF or Fidelity directly to discuss your options regarding the funds. (TIAA: tiaa.org or 800-842-2776; Fidelity: netbenefits.fidelity.com or 800-642-7131).
403(b) retirement account – This is an optional retirement account that employees can choose to enroll and self-fund. If you enrolled, contact TIAA or Fidelity directly to discuss your options regarding these funds.
You may qualify as a Rice Retiree, in accordance with the Rice University Human Resources Policy No. 422-98.
Please contact TIAA (800-842-2776) or Fidelity (800-642-7131) regarding the money that Rice has invested for you in the 401(a) plan.
The 403(b) Retirement Account is an optional account that employees may choose to enroll in and self-fund. If you have enrolled, please contact TIAA or Fidelity to discuss your options.
To learn more about Rice's retirement plans, please visit the Retirement Plans page.
Once again, thank you for your contributions to Rice University. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you with your upcoming transition.