Group Benefits Enrollment Session Preparation
Details are below, but at a high level, you should come prepared with:
- Your doctor or dentist provider information if you are enrolling in the ACO, HMO or DMO. Details and instructions below.
- Names, birthdays, and social security numbers for any eligible dependents you wish to enroll in the medical and dental plans.
- You only have 31 days from your hire date to enroll, so DO NOT MISS YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO ENROLL!
Before you come, visit the benefits website at www.benefits.rice.edu and review all of your options as you will be making all of your selections during this session. Please be prompt the session will start on time and last about 45 minutes depending on questions, so come prepared to ask any questions that you might have.
You will need to designate a Primary Office Id for your Primary Care Physician (PCP) if you elect the Aetna Memorial Hermann ACO or Aetna HMO Select, which are PCP referral plans, and/or for your Primary Care Dentist if you elect the Aetna Dental DMO. You can search by the doctor’s name or zip code on the Aetna website www.aetna.com under Find a Doctor to find the office ID. For a quick video which will instruct you on how to use the Aetna website to find a provider, go to http://openenrollment.rice.edu/ and click on helpful tools and videos on the left navigation bar. Be sure to bring your preferred doctor’s Provider ID number (not phone number) from the Aetna site. The benefits team will have a list of participating doctors and dentists in the Rice University area only, you will need to have a doctor/dentist selected in order for us to send the information to Aetna. Please note that you can change your PCP directly with Aetna at any time after your enrollment is complete by calling the concierge customer service number at 1 800 905 7670 or creating an account on the Aetna site.
When using Aetna’s website or talking with your doctor’s office, please use the following Aetna plan names:
- Aetna Memorial Hermann ACO = Aetna Whole Health Plans, Aetna Whole Health – Memorial Hermann ACN Select
- Aetna HMO = Aetna Standard Plans, Aetna Select
- Aetna POS II = Aetna Open Access Plans, Aetna Choice POS II (Open Access)
- Aetna HDHP = Aetna Open Access Plans, Aetna Choice POS II (Open Access)
- Aetna Dental DMO = Dental Maintenance Organization
- Aetna Dental PPO = Dental PPO/PDN with PPO II network
Enrollment in Rice University’s benefits must be completed within 31 days from your date of hire. If you do not complete a benefits election form with the benefits office during this 31 day time frame, you will be automatically enrolled in the Aetna Select HMO medical plan and a PCP will be randomly elected for you.
As a benefits eligible employee, you will automatically be enrolled in a basic in life insurance plan, bring the names and birthdays of your life insurance beneficiaries with you to the session. You can change your life insurance beneficiaries at any time by completing the appropriate form, which can be found under forms on the HR website www.people.rice.edu, The supplemental life insurance and long term care options will also be included in your group enrollment session among other benefits. Take the time to review all of the information since there are guarantee issue amounts only available to you during your initial 31 day enrollment period.
TIAA-CREF is the default retirement plan administrator for Rice University. You will select your retirement plan beneficiaries on your plan administrators website once your account is established after your first paycheck. You can also complete the appropriate plan administrator beneficiary form that can be found on the HR website at any time.