Working for Rice is a hoot! There’s so much to love about being a Rice employee: comprehensive benefits, exclusive discounts on campus, access to great services and facilities, and even connections to the Houston community. Our goal is to list as many as we can here to make sure everyone takes full advantage of the unconventional perks Rice has to offer.
Do you know of an Owl Perk not listed here? Let us know!
Fondren Library supports Rice University’s research and teaching aspirations by providing innovative research and information services, access to scholarly resources, and inviting physical and virtual spaces. Some things you can do at Fondren:
- Browse new books, from popular novels to groundbreaking research.
- Stream films from the Criterion Collection and more on Kanopy or check out DVDs.
- Get free access to The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and other news sources.
- Visit the GIS/Data Center to access data resources, print and digital map resources, and GIS training and software.
- Cell battery running low or caught in the rain? Borrow a portable charger or an umbrella.
- Get help from a research pro – our librarians are here to answer your toughest questions.
- Starting a business? Get trained on searching patents and trademarks from our staff.
- Need resources for a personal or school project? We’ll help you find them.
- Sign up for short courses on Excel, Tableau, the Adobe Creative Suite, managing data and more.
- Check out high-end video and audio equipment from the Digital Media Commons, or use the in-house recording studios.
- Want a book we don’t have? Request it via interlibrary loan and have it shipped here for free.
- Access for many of our online resources can be reached from your home or phone!
Categorized under: Rice ID Card Benefits
Available to: Staff, Faculty, Retirees, Family