Rice celebrates our dedicated staff members and the unique contributions they bring to our community. Please consider the following (below) when nominating a colleague. Those submitting a nomination should first check with the staff member’s direct supervisor, to ensure he or she supports the nomination. Next, each nominee should have:
- completed at least 1 year of benefits-eligible service (from the day of the nomination) at Rice;
- demonstrated career mobility (e.g. promoted, held more than one position, etc.);
- displayed excellence by contributing to Rice work outside of their normal job responsibilities (e.g. served on a project team, university committee, etc.);
- exhibited the values and principles outlined in the RICE MILE.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email Melinda English at email@example.com.
Hover over each.
Director, Finance and Operation, School of Natural Science (since April 1, 2016)
- Please describe your professional path while at Rice.
Started as File Clerk in HR (1993) and initially HR was career focus
Then decided to work in academic department in the administrator/research path up until current role
- What has had the BIGGEST IMPACT on your career path (choices you have made)?
Networking and building solid working relationships at Rice – knowing who to call and work with to solve problems. Without the help and guidance of colleagues it would have been very difficult to advance. Also, taking advantage of the training (internal and external), for example, attending professional meetings (NCURA and SRA) and learning from other universities has been very helpful. BUT it’s not just about attending meetings, it’s about coming back and applying what is learned on the job.
- WHO at Rice has played a significant role (up to this point) in your career while here?
Mary Widner – Assistant Dean, School of Natural Sciences Linda Hamaker – Assistant Chair, Chemistry
Seiichi Matsuda – Dean of Graduate Studies (former supervisor)
Matteo Pasquali – Current Chemistry Chair (former supervisor)
Marie Wehrung – Director, Learning and Professional Development
Chuck Tarantino – Assistant Controller
Linda Bird – Grant Specialist, SPARC (former employee now retired)
- What do you ENJOY MOST about working at Rice?
The thing I enjoy most about working at Rice is the people. When I interview prospective staff, I tell them that Rice is a great place to work because we are like a family and it’s not rare to find people at Rice that have worked for 20+ years.
- What is 1 tip you would give a newer Rice professional as they navigate their career at Rice?
The advice I would give to the new Rice Professional is to get involved in providing University service by serving in committees and to use their time effectively and efficiently.