Rice University’s Resources for Traveling Faculty and Staff
Rice University offers a variety of benefits and programs to assist you when you travel both inside and outside of the United States.
Aetna medical coverage offers you emergency care (treated as in-network coverage) anywhere in the world. Also, Rice’s POS and CDHP plans cover non-emergency services outside of the US under the non-network coverage. Please note that not all facilities accept US insurance for payment – you may need to make arrangements for payment and then submit your receipt to Aetna as a claim. Please use the forms below:
- Aetna Medical Claim Form – POS and CDHP
- Aetna Claims Form – Flexplan (POS) Non-Network
- HMO and Flexplan (POS) in-network services should not require a claim. If you need Aetna to reimburse for a network service, write a letter to Aetna with a copy of your receipt (send it to the claims address on the back of your ID Card).
Be sure to send the claim with documentation to the address listed on the form. Also, keep a copy for your records. You should receive an explanation of benefits for all claims. You can also review your claims history and claims status online at Aetna Navigator. A member of the benefits team is always available to assist you with this process.
Also, please note that Aetna’s National Medical Excellence (NME) program can coordinate your urgent or acute care outside of the US. This includes assessment of the urgent or acute care facility, appropriateness for the required care, transfer of the member to a more appropriate acute care facility for stabilization, transfer of the member back to the United States, and/or transfer of the member back home.
Aetna’s NME may be contacted at 877-212-8811 (fax 215-775-5781) or after business hours at 215-775-6445.
Rice carries a travel accident insurance policy covering faculty, staff and students who are in the service of the University and travel for the University. Benefits are afforded for accidental death and dismemberment subject to certain exclusions referenced in the policy.
This policy also includes Travel Assistance Program. The coverage is 24 hour, business or pleasure and is extended to any faculty or staff (or family members who accompany the employee) insured under the Hartford policy. You do not need to be covered by Aetna to access this policy – all Rice benefits-eligible faculty and staff are automatically covered by the Hartford policy.
The Travel Assistance Program includes toll-free emergency assistance for you, your spouse and your dependents (children to age 19, or 25 if a full-time student) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week when traveling 100 miles or more from your primary home (national or international travel) for 90 days or less, including:
- Medical Referrals – Refers you to physicians, dentists and medical facilities worldwide.
- Medical Monitoring – During the course of a medical emergency, professional case managers, including physicians and nurses, will monitor your level of care and determine if further intervention, medical transportation or possibly repatriation is needed.
- Medical Evacuation – Transportation to the closest medical facility that can provide an appropriate level of care will be arranged and paid for if medically necessary.
- Repatriation – Transportation home for further medical treatment will be arranged and paid for if medically necessary.
- Emergency Medical Payments – Advances funds to cover on-site medical expenses, upon satisfactory guarantee of reimbursement.
- Return of Mortal Remains – The proper return of remains for burial will be arranged and paid for in the event of death while traveling.
- Other additional services.
You can contact Worldwide Assistance Services, Inc. (WAS) at 800-243-6108 if in the US or Canada, or collect from other locations at 202-828-5885. The Travel Assistance ID Number is GLD-09012, group number ETB-012047.
The program offers funds up to $1,000,000 to cover services provided. A service qualifies for payment or reimbursement only if WAS was contacted at the time of service and arranged and/or pre-approved it. In an emergency, seek care and then contact WAS for approval and services.
See the travel insurance brochure for more details.
Faculty, staff, students and alumni can receive a discounted rate of $6.59 per day (plus tax) for covered parking at George Bush Intercontinental Airport's Fast Park. In order to receive the Fast Park discount, you must enroll in the free frequent parking program here. You can receive an additional 15% off the parking rate above by showing proof of your AAA membership.
In addition to the Travel Assistance Program above, Rice also has an international travel policy, International S.O.S. Please visit the Risk Management website for more information on International S.O.S. policies and benefits.