Other Benefits – Discount Programs
AMLI Residential Employee Discounts
AMLI Residential is excited to offer Rice University employees $300 off their first month’s rent at any Houston area AMLI community! Please visit AMLI Residential to learn more about their luxury communities today!
Categorized under: Financial Perks & Discounts
Available to: Staff, Faculty, Family
Rice University offers a variety of benefits and programs to assist you when traveling both inside and outside the United States. These programs include Aetna urgent care, travel insurance, international travel coverage, and airport parking discounts.
Do you commute to work? Chances are you can save big on taxes. Go green and save some green!
Train. Bus. Van pool. Parking your car at the station or at a non-Rice facility. However you ride, the Commuter Benefits Program lets you pay for your eligible commuting costs through automatic, pre-tax payroll deductions. It works wherever you do: for any transit system, anywhere, plus any non-Rice parking provider or van pool operator nationwide.
The more you spend, the more you save on your taxes — up to $1,680 each year. And all it takes is a quick online order to get your pass delivered to your home every month and set up direct, automatic monthly parking payments.
Do you commute to work from Sugarland, Katy, or Humble? If so, you may want to consider using MetroStar Van Pool.
Learn more about the MetroStar Commuting Benefits Program here. →
What is a "Mothers' Room?"Rice's first lactation room is a place for nursing mothers to pump breast milk or nurse their child in a private and comfortable setting.
Where are they located?
- There are two:
- The first is located in the renovated "lounge" area in the women's restroom near the Grand Hall in the RMC. It is a secure, private, walled-off environment with a sink, refrigerator, etc.
- The second is located on the fourth floor of Fondren Library in Room 411. Visit Fondren Library's Mother's Room page for a list of features.
I'm a new mom and would like to use this room—how do I access it?
- RMC Location: Stop by the Information Desk in the RMC/Ley Student Center to get the access code—no key necessary. Please do not share the code with others, as we would like this space reserved only for those who need it.
- Fondren Location: A key is available for checkout during Visitor Hours at the East Entrance (quad side) Service Desk. For more information, please visit Fondren Library's Mother's Room page.
For many of us, family is very important. Rice offers many child care resources for your family while you are at work. Rice’s Child Care Resources are available to all Rice faculty and staff. Examples may include programs at the Recreation Center, YMCA, or at the Rice Children’s Campus. We also provide tools for additional resources around Houston.
Rice is pleased to provide backup care for any member of your family that depends on you for care through the Back-up Care Advantage Program® All benefits-eligible faculty and staff are eligible for the program.
In addition to disability programs, Rice University provides certain holidays and paid time off programs for staff.
Rice also has benefits that cover work-related injury, family illness, bereavement, professional, primary care giver and military service leaves, which may be granted with or without pay. Each policy may apply to different populations at Rice, so please read each policy carefully (the top of the policy should clarify to whom it applies).
As a Rice University employee, you have access to membership and special discounts at several area banks, including Smart Financial Credit Union, Frost Bank, and Chase Bank.
With your current Rice ID card, employees may apply for membership at the Faculty Club, receive discounts at the campus bookstore, and use all facilities on campus: recreation center (with paid membership), library, and more!
Rice University is a qualified employer under the federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program. The federal PSLF is a program that allows certain federal student loans to be forgiven after 10 years of repayment. To benefit, borrowers need to have a qualifying loan and sign up for a qualifying repayment plan. After 120 on-time, qualifying monthly payments, the remainder of the loan(s) is forgiven.
Are you caring for an elderly parent, aunt or uncle? Do you ever feel overwhelmed with the complex set of needs that seem to be constantly changing? If so, we have the benefit for you, brought to you by Bright Horizons.
In addition to the short-term, in home elder care that you have access to through the Bright Horizons Back-Up Care program, benefits eligible employees now have access to the Bright Horizons Elder Care program. With that program you can
- Coordinate care through an online platform that you can share with other caregivers and family members
- Consult with a experienced Care Coach who will follow your case over time
- Obtain on-site care assessments and obtain a customized care plan
- Obtain legal help, financial guidance, and verified referrals.
For any questions or updates to this page, please contact the Benefits Team.